#CutsCauseCrisis Call-In Day
HAVE YOUR SAY. BE HEARD. MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
June 10, 2020 • 10 AM - 2 PM • CALL-IN
The Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) made public their plans to cut 14%* of their budget (approximately $172.3 million) as recommended by the Governor. DBHDD plans to cut 14.3% from Adult Developmental Disabilities Services, which equals a decrease of approximately $58 million* .
* We are aware that there is a call to reduce the total cuts to 11% and are monitoring to find out new numbers
We are asking all advocates to call their state senators and representatives on Wednesday, June 10th to let them know #CutsCauseCrisis
We are asking for the following considerations:
- Legislators should first consider ways to increase states funds rather than dramatically cutting services (e.g., increase the tobacco tax).
- The family support program CANNOT be eliminated when 6,000 Georgians are currently waiting for waiver services.
- New waiver slots must continue to exist for families who are in crisis!
- Funds from closed day programs should be redirected to increase supported employment rates.
Click HERE for the full list of recommended cuts.
Your legislators need to hear from you! Please call and/or email your representatives and senators to let them know how you feel about the cuts to the above services. Visit www.openstates.org to connect with them.
The members of the Senate Appropriations Human Development and Public Health Subcommittee and the House Appropriations Human Resources Subcommittee need to hear from you!
When you reach out, make sure to:
- Introduce yourself and let them know if you live in their district
- Tell them why you are calling (e.g., I am calling to discuss the elimination of family support services in DBHDD's recommended budget)
- Tell them why this is important to you (e.g., I am on the waitlist, my family member/friend is waiting for services, etc.)
- Tell them what you would like them to do (e.g., I would like you to reconsider the elimination of the family support program)
- Thank them for their time!
Human Development and Public Health Subcommittee
Subcommittee Chair: Senator Renee Unterman
- Senator Dean Burke (Vice-chair)
- Senator Chuck Hufstetler
- Senator Butch Miller
- Senator Horacena Tate
- Senator Ben Watson
Human Resources Subcommittee
Subcommittee Chair: Representative Katie Dempsey
- Representative Tom Kirby (Vice-chair)
- Representative Tommy Benton
- Representative Emory Dunahoo
- Representative Michele Henson
- Representative Don Hogan
- Representative Henry “Wayne” Howard
- Representative Karen Mathiak
- Representative Greg Morris
- Representative Mary Margaret Oliver
- Representative Bert Reeves
If you have additional questions, please email:
- Alyssa Lee, PsyD, Public Policy Research and Development Director
- Charlie Miller, Legislative Advocacy Director
SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Spread the word via your social media channels as well on June 9. Below are a few suggested posts to help you tell your followers that Cuts Cause Crisis!
- Non-Waiver supports are integral to the lives of thousands of Georgians. Alternatives to eliminating funding to these programs must be found. #cutscausecrisis
- My family relies on non-waiver supports in order to live, work and thrive in Georgia. Alternatives to eliminating program funding must be found. #cutscausecrisis
- Planned cuts to non-waiver supports for people with disabilities will impact the lives of thousands of Georgians. Alternatives to eliminating program funding must be found. #cutscausecrisis