Protect Our Medicaid: Call & Educate Senators Perdue and Isakson
WHO: Do you or someone you love rely on Medicaid services to meet their daily needs? Remember, in Georgia Medicaid for people with disabilities is called:
- NOW: New Options Waiver
- COMP: Comprehensive Supports Waiver
- CCSP: Community Care Services Program
- SOURCE: Service Options Using Resources in Community Environments
- ICWP: Independent Care Waiver Program
- Georgia Pediatric Program (GAPP)
- EPSDT: Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment
WHAT: Currently in the US Congress, the House of Representatives have passed a version of the American Health Care Act (AHCA) that removes $834 billion dollars from Medicaid through something called per capita caps (PCC) . The Senate is now writing a version of their own bill.
The result of changing the structure of Medicaid to per capita caps would be to shift costs onto states. Unfortunately, this will force massive cuts in Medicaid services. In Georgia, per capita caps would mean a loss of $33 billion in federal funding for Medicaid.
WHY: We know that Medicaid helps people with disabilities to not only get healthcare and expensive medical equipment, but also to access services to live and work in their community. Medicaid helps people with disabilities pay for caregivers for bathing, dressing, and other daily life activities, transportation, and employment services, just to name a few. How does Medicaid help you or your loved one?
We need to your help to educate Senator Isakson and Senator Perdue about how badly a per capita cap would hurt people with disabilities here in Georgia.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
- Please pick up the phone and tweet, post on Facebook, email, or call Senator Isakson and Perdue and educate them on what Medicaid means to your life and your ability to live a life of your choosing in the community.
- Educate them on what might happen to you or your loved one if your Medicaid services were reduced or eliminated completely.
See contact information below.
I am your constituent from (city), Georgia.
I vote (if you are a voter). Your decisions that impact people with disabilities matter to me.
Do NOT allow Medicaid to be gutted. Caps and block grants would decimate the program on which people with disabilities and seniors rely for critical healthcare and community services.
Cuts to community based services will force many people with disabilities into institutional care. As you know, institutionalization is much more expensive than living in the community. People with disabilities want to live in their community -let's make sure we can.
SOCIAL MEDIA MESSAGES:
Facebook and Twitter:
Medicaid helps me <go to work, be independent in my home, go to school, etc.
- Post your photo with the hashtag #IamMedcaid and holding up a #IamMedicaid sign.
Senator John "Johnny" Isakson
Senator David Perdue