PolicyBites: Catch our Advocacy Phone Call Mon@9:30am & Other Happenings
Tomorrow is the day! January 9 marks the first day of the 2017 Legislative Session here in GA.
What is going on you may ask? Catch our weekly phone call, every Monday during session at 9:30 am. Calls are kept short and a great way to touch base with what is going down under the Gold Dome. Dial in at 1-888-355-1249, Code: 232357.
- Note that due to MLK Day, call scheduled for Jan 16 will occur Jan 17
Wondering how you can get involved?
- Learn about GCDD's 2017 Legislative Priorities. To see a copy of our full Legislative Agenda, click here.
- Attend the Governor's State of the State address where Governor Deal will give a preview of his agenda for the upcoming year, as well as an update on how Georgia is doing. Think the President's State of the Union but GA focused. Wednesday, Jan. 11 at 11 am in the House's Chamber, located within the Capitol. GCDD will be there, will you?
- UNLOCK! Day at the Capitol - Join the UNLOCK! Coalition on Thursday, Jan. 12, in the afternoon from 12 -4, in room 216 CAP (stands for Capitol). This is a very informal way for the residents of the Gold Dome, aka Legislators, to get to know who UNLOCK! is and what UNLOCK! stand for. We hope you will join us - the more the merrier to talk about UNLOCK's 2017 Legislative Priorities.
- Department of Community Health Board Meeting. -Thursday, Jan 12 at 10:30 am in the Fifth Floor Board Room of 2 Peachtree Street N.W, Atlanta GA 30303.
- Spread the word & Sign up for GCDD Advocacy Days Today! Click here for the flier. Register online at: bit.ly/2fRxoYX
- Jan 18 -Inclusive Post-Secondary Education Advocacy Day
- Feb 1-DD Waivers Advocacy Day 1
- Feb 7-DD Waivers Advocacy Day 2
- Feb 23 -Employment Advocacy Day
- Feb 28-Enable Work and Families Advocacy Day (Family Care Act, Peach Work, Phillip Payne Personal Assistance Program, & Change the Standard to Prove Intellectual Disabilities)
- March 9-Home & Community Advocacy Day ( Elder & Disabled Abuser Registry, People First Language, Residential Housing Study Committee, Transportation)
Our Partner's Advocacy Days (we share a common legislative goal)
- Jan 19 - Senior Day (GA Council on Aging) -Elder & Disabled Abuser Registry
- Feb 14 - Change the Standard to Prove Intellectual Disabilities in Capital Punishment Cases (PAPE Coalition and Georgians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty)
- Feb 15 - Senior Week (GA Council on Aging) - Elder & Disabled Abuser Registry
- Feb 16 - Senior Week (GA Council on Aging) -Elder & Disabled Abuser Registry
Our Friend's Advocacy Days
- Jan 25 - Sickle Cell Day (Sickle Cell Foundation of GA)
- Jan 31 - Mental Health Day (GA Parent Support Network)
- Feb 2 - Justice Day at the Capitol (GA Justice Project)
- Feb 3 - Alzheimer's Awareness Day (Alzheimer's Association, GA Chapter)
- Feb 8 - Stop Violence Against Women Day (GA Coalition Against Domestic Violence)
- Feb 15 -Interfaith Children's Movement Day at the Capitol
- Feb 21 - Catholic Day at the Capitol
- Feb 22 - Easterseals Day at the Capitol
- Feb 23 - Hemophilia of GA Day (Hemophilia of GA)
- Feb 28 - Anti-Sex Trafficking Lobby Day (City of Refuge, Freedom Coalition, GA Cares, Haven ATL, Out of Darkness, Street Grace, United Way of Greater Atlanta, Wellspring Living)
- Mar 9 -Lupus Awareness Day (Lupus Foundation of America, GA Chapter)
- Mar 16 -Type 1 Diabetes Day (JRDF)