Job Opening: Lecturer/Career Development Coordinator(s) for EXCEL at Georgia Tech
Excel Program Seeking Lecturer/Career Development Coordinator(s)
Apply by March, 15, 2017 - Click here to Apply
GT Excel is accepting applications for one to two non-tenure track academic faculty positions as a Lecturer/Career Development Coordinator for EXCEL (Expanding Career, Education, and Leadership for Students), program in the Scheller College of Business at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia.
EXCEL is an Inclusive Postsecondary Academy program offering a four-year college opportunity for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) leading to two separate certificates. EXCEL provides a structured and supportive postsecondary educational opportunities, and addresses competencies related to fundamental academics to social activities and vocational preparation.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Master's degree, a strong background in business, marketing, rehabilitation counseling, career development. Special Education/Transition or experience working with young adults with disabilities recommended. Must be able to communicate well with families, professionals and business people, and should provide evidence of leadership in previous employment, strong administrative skills, effective written and verbal communication, and facility with universal design and current technologies for learning and performance enhancement. Must understand cultures and needs of business community. Candidates must also have a strong desire to prepare Excel students to find competitive, meaningful paid employment in a variety of sectors and to build relationships with employers to increase opportunities for employment.
The chosen candidate will also be responsible for the following:
- Teach career development courses to students in EXCEL.
- Lead internship courses for students in EXCEL.
- Conduct and maintain ongoing student career assessment/discovery process.
- Maintain confidential employment files for each student containing current resumes, current applications, and any needed work documents (Social Security card, birth certificate, transportation cards, etc.).
- Manage resume development, job seeking skills instruction, and career-based exploration activities.
- Prepare students by practicing mock interviews.
- Conduct individualized job development for each student by developing relationships with college departments, local and national businesses, students and other stakeholders.
- Integrate and manage relationships with Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Services Administration.
- Assist students and families as they transition to an adult service provider to ensure a seamless connection between student, employer, and their new job counselors at their chosen Adult Service Agency.
- Conduct outreach to businesses, get to know specific employer needs, negotiate career experiences and direct hires, and support business Human Resources Departments when appropriate.
- Development of internship and employment opportunities for EXCEL students
- Assist instructors in travel training for students to get to and from work.
- Participate in support teams with other EXCEL personnel (academic coordinator, peer support coordinator, and others) to support the student's development
- Contribute advice about academic courses and ways of developing work readiness and work-relevant skills
- Provide on and off the job support to students, coworkers and supervisors and facilitate natural supports as needed.
- Train and supervise career coaches.
- Maintain contact with all current employers.
- Work with EXCEL alumni, as time allows, as their careers develop to assure continued opportunities for and problem solving related to their jobs.
- Stay up to date on the latest policies and procedures regarding employment and disability (i.e. Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability, rights to accommodation, etc.)
All applicants must submit a resume, a letter of interest, as well as contact information for three references electronically to . To assure full consideration, please forward your application by March 15, 2017. We will continue to accept applications until the position has been filled. We expect the start date to be no later than August 1st, 2017.
Attracting a diverse applicant pool is a critical part of our recruitment efforts. The Voluntary Disclosure Form will be e-mailed to you upon receipt of your application. We would very much appreciate your involvement in this important process.
Georgia Tech is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.