Public Policy for the People: January 21, 2020
Hello, advocates! We are excited to bring you the first issue of our 2020 Public Policy for the People, GCDD's public policy newsletter. This electronic-only newsletter goes out approximately every other week during the legislative session.
Our hope is that this newsletter will provide you, the concerned citizens of Georgia, with valuable information that will empower you to become involved in our advocacy to make Georgia a better place for people with disabilities!
Continue reading to stay up-to-date on what's happening in the 2020 legislative session, and how you can be involved.
See you at the Capitol!
You Can Get Involved!
There are many ways to get involved in the 2020 legislative session! We have public policy calls, five Advocacy Days and so many more ways you can get advocate all year round.
Sign up for GCDD Advocacy Days!
Check out more details below.
Join our Public Policy Phone Calls at 9:30 AM on:
January 27, February 10, February 24, March 9 & March 23.
Looking Ahead: Advocacy Days are Here!
- Jan 29: Gracie's Law (organ transplant discrimination) Day
- Feb 6: Inclusive Post Secondary Education (IPSE) Day
- Feb 19: Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Day
- Feb 27: School to Prison Pipeline (SToPP) Day
- Mar 11: Employment Day
Click here to register for Advocacy Days
Be in the Know: Governor Kemp's Vision for Georgia in 2020
- increase teacher pay for a second year and publicly fund public education
- increase the affordability and access of healthcare in Georgia
- focus on safety of Georgians by continuing to strengthen the anti-gang task force and address human trafficking through the Grace Commission (under the leadership of First Lady Marty Kemp)
- and to transform the adoption system through the Families First Commission.
Fiscal Year (FY): The state of Georgia organizes their budget by fiscal years, which do not line up with calendar years. You will often see Fiscal Year abbreviated to FY. Fiscal Year 2021, or FY20, covers July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021. Some people call this the Big Budget.
Federal Update: Comment on the Proposed Changes to Disability Benefits Today!
Tags: GCDD, Advocacy, public policy