REGISTRATION NOW OPEN for the 2018 Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities' Advocacy Days!
Join GCDD at the Capitol this legislative session to learn about policies affecting people with disabilities and join advocates from across the state in speaking with elected officials about these very important issues. We need your help to educate Georgia’s lawmakers about topics important to our community, like the DD Waiver Waiting List, Employment, Inclusive Post-Secondary Education, the UNLOCK! Coalition and Medicaid.
Register early to secure your spot at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/
GCDD's First Advocacy Day was held on January 23rd and we'd like to share a video from that event.
Our first video features GCDD Council Member Parker Glick and GCDD Public Policy Director Dawn Alford discussing NOW/COMP waivers and the waiting list. Click on the video above to view a short segment, or watch the entire video at: https://youtu.be/KvGl0RoGL_k
Watch for more videos coming soon!
Continue to read for more information about Advocacy Days.
2018 GCDD Advocacy Day Themes
- Advocacy Day #1 DD Waivers (January 23) - If you are on the waiting list for a NOW/COMP waiver OR you are currently enjoying the benefits of the waiver, then this is the day for you.
- Advocacy Day #2 Employment (January 31) - Let’s talk Jobs. Come educate your legislator about your integrated & paid community job, or the barriers standing in your way!
- Advocacy Day #3 Medicaid (February 14) - Medicaid is the lifeline for people with disabilities to live in their community. Come join us in educating our legislators about the importance of Medicaid in our lives. Remember in GA, Medicaid goes by many names: NOW/COMP Waiver, ICWP, CCSP, SOURCE, Katie Beckett, and GAPP just to name a few.
- Advocacy Day #4 Inclusive Post-Secondary Education Programs (February 22) - If you attend, graduated from, or hope to one day attend one of GA’s Inclusive Post-Secondary Education Programs, then this is your day!
- Advocacy Day #5 UNLOCK Coalition (February 28) - Join the UNLOCK Coalition down at the Capitol to educate on the many importance of community integration.
- Advocacy Day #6 Medicaid (March 15) - Medicaid is the lifeline for people with disabilities to live in their community. Come join us in educating our legislators about the importance of Medicaid in our lives. Remember in GA, Medicaid goes by many names: NOW/COMP Waiver, ICWP, CCSP, SOURCE, Katie Beckett, and GAPP just to name a few.
2018 Advocacy Day Agenda
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM Arrival & Registration
9:00 AM – 9:20 AM Welcome & Understand the Legislative Ask
9:20 AM – 9:40 AM Demonstration of a visit with a Legislator
9:40 AM – 10:10 AM Break into teams to practice the Legislative Visit
10:10 AM – 12:30 PM Go to the Capitol in teams to call legislators to the ropes
Are there ID requirements to enter the event?
Bring photo identification. You will need it to pass through security in the Capitol.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
MARTA: Take Blue line to Georgia State MARTA Transit station and use the MLK Jr. Drive exit. Head right on MLK Jr. Drive for 1.5 blocks. Central Presbyterian Church will be on the corner of MLK Jr. Drive and Washington Street.
Steve Polk Plaza
65 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, Atlanta, GA
Located near Underground Atlanta & Georgia Railroad Freight Depot.
Capitol Lot Daily
218 Capitol Avenue, Atlanta, GA
Located on Capitol Avenue near the State Capitol.
162 Jesse Hill Jr., Drive, Atlanta, GA
Located at the corner of Jesse Hill Jr. Drive and Decatur Street.
Archives Surface Lot/Fraser Street Surface Lot
359 Fraser Street, Atlanta, GA
What can I not bring into the event?
Weapons are not allowed in the State Capitol. Please leave all knives, guns and other such items at home.
What if I don't know who my State Senator or State Representative is? You can find out at https://openstates.org
Who can I contact the with any questions?
Contact Hanna Rosenfeld at or 404.657.2124
Tags: Disability Day, GCDD, Capitol, Advocacy, Atlanta